Connect with AMCAS
Getting Into Medical School
The AAMC is here to help you navigate the journey from pre-med through residency and beyond—with reliable, trusted resources and services.
MCAT Exam Policies for U.S. and Canadian Medical Schools
View MCAT® Exam policies to see which exam(s) medical schools will accept for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 application cycles.
Criminal Background Check Details
Certiphi Screening, Inc.will procure a background report on early decision program applicants at the point of acceptance and all other applicants at the point of acceptance after January 1st. An e-mail will be sent to applicants by Certiphi Screening Inc., at the preferred e-mail address entered in the AMCAS application by the applicant.
Once you have provided consent, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will procure a national background check on you. Once the report is complete, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will send an e-mail to your preferred e-mail address requesting that you review the report prior to its distribution. Upon receiving this e-mail:
- You will have ten (10) calendar days from the date this e-mail is sent to review your report prior to this report being made available to the participating medical schools who request this report. If you do not review this report, the report will be distributed after this period elapses.
- You will be provided with an opportunity to contest the contents of the report within the specified ten (10) calendar day period.
Once you have reviewed and released this report, or after the specified ten (10) calendar day period has elapsed, the report procured on you will be made available to the participating medical school(s) who offered an acceptance and initiated the request for this report.
- If this report has been procured prior to your acceptance by a participating school, the report will not be made available to that school until the AAMC receives notice of your acceptance.
- Upon your initial, conditional acceptance to an additional, participating medical school, the report will be made available to additional, participating school(s) offering the acceptance, after January 1st.
- The report procured during this process will not be released to any party other than the medical schools requesting this report. On the report, history including infractions and juvenile records will be displayed to the applicant but medical schools vary on the content they can and will view.
This application is for those applying to the 2015 entering class.
This application is for those applying to the 2014 entering class.