Connect with AMCAS
Getting Into Medical School
The AAMC is here to help you navigate the journey from pre-med through residency and beyond—with reliable, trusted resources and services.
Pre-Med Event Request
Request a speaker or materials from AAMC Pre-Med.
AAMC-Facilitated Criminal Background Checks
The Association of American Medical Colleges recommends that all U.S. medical schools procure a national background check on applicants upon their conditional acceptance to medical school. This is to ascertain the ability of accepted applicants to eventually become licensed physicians in the future, enhance the safety and well-being of patients, and to ensure the public's continuing trust in the medical profession.
Medical schools that participate in the AAMC-facilitated Criminal Background Check Service may require applicants to undergo a separate national background check process, if required to do so by their own institutional regulations or by applicable state law. Medical schools not participating in this service may also require applicants to undergo a separate national background check process.
Background Check Process
Certiphi Screening, Inc.will procure a background report on early decision program applicants once they are accepted and on all other applicants at the point of acceptance after January 1st.
Once you have provided consent via email, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will procure a national background check on you. Once the report is complete, you will be able to review the report prior to its distribution to your designated medical schools.
- You will have ten (10) calendar days from the date you receive your background check report to review it before it is made available to your designated, participating medical schools. If you do not review this report, the report will be distributed after this period elapses.
- You will be provided with an opportunity to contest the contents of the report within the specified ten (10) calendar day period.
- Review the criminal history searches that will be conducted during the background check process.
Once you have reviewed and released this report, or after the specified ten (10) calendar day period has elapsed, the report procured on you will be made available to the participating medical school(s) who offered an acceptance and initiated the request for this report.
Participating Medical Schools
To determine if a school participates in the AAMC-facilitated Criminal Background Check Service, visit the Schools and Deadlines page. Please note that this list is subject to change.
- If this report has been procured prior to your acceptance by a participating school, the report will not be made available to that school until the AAMC receives notice of your acceptance.
- Upon your initial, conditional acceptance to an additional, participating medical school, the report will be made available to additional, participating school(s) offering the acceptance, after January 1.
- The report procured during this process will not be released to any party other than the medical schools requesting this report. On the report, history including infractions and juvenile records will be displayed to the applicant but medical schools vary on the content they can and will view.
This application is for those applying to the 2015 entering class. The 2016 AMCAS application will open May 5.
This application is for those applying to the 2014 entering class.