Connect with AMCAS
Getting Into Medical School
The AAMC is here to help you navigate the journey from pre-med through residency and beyond—with reliable, trusted resources and services.
MCAT Exam Policies for U.S. and Canadian Medical Schools
View MCAT® Exam policies to see which exam(s) medical schools will accept for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 application cycles.
What can I update or change after my application has been submitted?
After the initial submission of your application, you may only make changes to the following information:
- Your ID numbers.
- Your name, including full legal name, preferred name, and alternate names.
- Your contact Information, including your permanent address, preferred mailing address, and e-mail address.
- Your alternate contact information.
- Your date of birth and sex.
- Letters of evaluation (although please note that you can only make additions of up to 10 letters, and you must notify AMCAS if you have a letter you wish to no longer be sent to medical schools; you cannot delete letters of evaluation from your application).
- Your next MCAT testing date.
- The addition of medical schools and the altering of existing program types (deadlines, restrictions and an additional fee may apply).
- The release of your application information to your pre-health advisor.
You must re-certify and officially update your application after making a change. This will not cause any processing delays, and you will not be charged unless you have added more medical school designations.
To address changes made by AMCAS to your Course Work during the Verification process, you must submit an Academic Change Request. The Academic Change Request is located in the vertical menu on the right side of the application. This option becomes available only after your application has completed the Verification process. Please allow at least five business days for AMCAS to review and/or process the Academic Change Request.
Please note that AMCAS will not change or correct:
- Course names, titles, or numbers.
Updated grades and/or hours for the following type of courses that have been left off the application and did not appear on any official transcript at the time of processing:
- Current and Future (CC)
- Deferred Grade (DG)
- Honor (H)
- Incomplete (I)
Legal Residence Changes
To change your legal residence after you submit your application, you should mail, fax, or e-mail the following information to AMCAS:
- Your name
- Your AAMC ID
- The state and county of legal residence listed on your application
- The state and county of legal residence that you would like your legal residence to be changed to
If you are mailing the request, include your signature. If you are e-mailing the request, make sure the e-mail comes from the e-mail address listed in your application.
AMCAS Contact Information:
Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-7p.m. (ET)
Closed Thursdays 11a.m.-1p.m.
Addition of Medical Schools
You may add medical school choices or designations to your submitted application. Medical school additions or program changes can be made at any time, as long as the deadline for the school you wish to add has not passed.
You must re-certify, officially update your application, and pay any additional fees for added designations by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the deadline day. Re-certifying and officially updating your application will not cause any processing delays.
Questions about After Submission:
This application is for those applying to the 2015 entering class.
This application is for those applying to the 2014 entering class.