Using MCAT Data in 2020 Medical Student Selection (PDF)
This comprehensive guide presents information about how to interpret and use MCAT scores in the context of holistic review.
Concepts and skills measured by the exam
Characteristics of examinees and how they prepare for and perform on the exam
How admissions committees work with scores in admissions
How well MCAT scores and undergraduate GPAs predict students’ performance in medical school
New validity findings, including how well MCAT scores and undergraduate GPAs predict summative performance in pre-clerkships and on the USMLE Step 1 exam, and progression through the first two years of medical school.
MCAT Validity Data Report 2019
Read the latest findings on how well MCAT scores and other academic metrics predict students’ performance across their pre-clerkship courses, progression to the third year of medical school, and performance on the USMLE Step 1 exam.
Academic Medicine collection (2019)
Read research articles published by the AAMC MCAT Validity Committee, which describes their work to evaluate the new exam.
- Busche K, Elks ML, Hanson JT, Jackson-Williams L, Manuel RS, Parsons WL, Wofsy D, Yuan K. The Validity of Scores from the New MCAT Exam in Predicting Student Performance: Results from a Multisite Study. [published ahead of print August 13, 2019]. Acad Med. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000002942.
- Girotti JA, Chanatry JA, Clinchot DM, McClure SC, Swan Sein A, Walker IW, Searcy CA. Investigating Group Differences in Examinees’ Preparation for and Performance on the New MCAT Exam. [published ahead of print August 13, 2019]. Acad Med. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000002940.
- Terregino CA, Saguil A, Price-Johnson T, Anachebe NF, Goodell K. The Diversity and Success of Medical School Applicants with Scores in the Middle Third of the MCAT Score Scale. [published ahead of print August 13, 2019]. Acad Med. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000002941.
- Lucey CR, Saguil A. The Consequences of Structural Racism on MCAT Scores and Medical School Admissions: The Past is Prologue. [published ahead of print August 13, 2019]. Acad Med. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000002939.
- Sein Swan A, Cuffney F, Clinchot D. How to Help Students Strategically Prepare for the MCAT Exam and Learn Foundational Knowledge Needed for Medical School. [published ahead of print September 24, 2019]. Acad Med. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000003000.
Academic Medicine collection (2013) (PDF)
In May 2013, collection of articles was published in Academic Medicine that describe the research that supports the design of the MCAT 2015 exam.
MCAT Validity Research (PDF)
This resource describes the MCAT validity research agenda to evaluate the fairness, use, impact, and predictive validity of the new MCAT exam. It includes a comprehensive overview of the research agenda, objectives, timeline for data collection and release, and ways you and your committee can stay up-to-date.
Validity Research on the Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior Section (PDF)
Annotated Bibliography of MCAT® Research
The bibliography presents a list of publications and presentations about research on the MCAT® exam since 1987. Among the areas explored are the relationship between performance on the test and performance at difference stages of medical education, test validity, reliability and equating issues, medical college selection procedures, and issues related to acceptance to medical school.
Recent presentations from the MCAT program and MCAT Validity Committee
Learn-Serve-Lead 2019: AAMC Annual Meeting
Download the slide deck from the MCAT session (How Admissions Officers Use MCAT Predictive Validity Findings in Student Selection) presented during Learn-Serve-Lead 2019 in Phoenix, Arizona.
2019 Regional GSA Meetings
From the MCAT session presented at the 2019 regional Western GSA in Reno, NV, the regional Northeast GSA in Boston, MA, and the regional joint Central/Southern GSA in Louisville, KY.
In this presentation, MCAT staff presented information on how admissions officers are working with MCAT scores, how well MCAT scores and undergraduate GPA predict student performance in medical school, data on 2016-2018 test takers, and how examinees are preparing for the exam and the resources we have to help address some of the common challenges all examinees experience when preparing.