Collaborative Student Volunteer and Service Projects
This collection was built in response to the surge in student volunteer and service projects that provided additional support to communities, medical schools, and health systems in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. Largely student-initiated, this open repository of curated resources features volunteer and service experiences that are responsive to local needs, do not place additional burdens on local systems, and prioritize student, patient, and community safety. They can be adopted or adapted for local use and have helped inform student-led projects around the country.
Seeking your submissions for the next phase of this collection
As a working collection, we are actively seeking new submissions of student volunteer and service experiences, particularly those that are virtual and/or otherwise prioritize individual and community safety, we are specifically asking for projects that focus on these areas: (1) diversity, equity, and inclusion, including antiracism, (2) public and population health, and (3) collaborations (interprofessional, inter-institutional, with health systems and community organizations). Understanding that schools are considering engaging students in efforts to vaccinate the public, we are also interested in vaccine-related volunteer or service projects.
- Community education resource development (5)
- Community outreach to minimize social isolation (5)
- Coordination of PPE donations or manufacturing (5)
- Coordination with local departments of health (4)
- Infection control/occupational health (4)
- Medical education activities (4)
- (-) Telemedicine support (4)
- Research (3)
- Overflow staffing/support (2)
- COVID-19 community hotline (1)
- Food banks (1)
- Support COVID-19 screening/triage (1)