This free course available from Harvard University is meant to provide licensed medical professionals with an understanding of mechanical ventilation. The course covers:
- Principles and physiology of mechanical ventilation
- Initial ventilator settings and adjustments
- Troubleshooting the ventilator
- Ventilating patients in special circumstances including Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Obstructive Lung Disease
- How to evaluate a patient for extubation readiness and conduct the extubation procedure
- How standard ventilation practices are different in COVID-19 patients
The course is self-paced and expected to take one week to complete if the learner commits 2-5 hours per week.
This is an open-access publication distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.