The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed new challenges and barriers for women faculty in medicine and science, who are trying to achieve promotion and advancement during a time of great disruption and uncertainty. Research shows that scholarly productivity has been vastly reduced as women are balancing personal and professional responsibilities, making it more difficult to prepare for advancement and gain visibility for their work.
The seminar’s curriculum is designed to provide women physicians and scientists, at the assistant and associate professor level, with skills and strategies to help navigate and direct their careers and seek opportunities pursuant to achieving their leadership goals.
You will benefit from a combination of plenary sessions, small group breakouts, a leadership panel, and networking. During the networking session, you’ll have an opportunity to practice presenting your ideas and achievements in a virtual setting with the option to solicit feedback from your peers. Seminar topics include:
- Academic Promotion and Advancement.
- Gaining Visibility.
- Self-Advocacy and Negotiation.
- Other leadership topics central to achieving your professional goals, such as: strategies for supporting well-being and resiliency, allyship, and navigating through change.
Seminar faculty have been chosen for their demonstrated leadership capabilities and expertise in their respective field. They offer practical strategies to support career advancement, insights for turning challenges into opportunities, and specialized knowledge for charting a path forward in your career.
This seminar has been designed to support women faculty in a virtual setting until the in-person early and mid-career women faculty seminars resume.
Who Should Attend?
This seminar is open to women physicians and scientists, holding a faculty appointment as an Assistant or Associate Professor, at an AAMC member institution’s School of Medicine. Attendees should have demonstrated leadership ability, either in formal or informal leadership roles, and/or seek to obtain career advancement in leadership positions within academic medicine and science.
To register for and attend an AAMC meeting, you must be affiliated with an AAMC member institution. Please note that commercial representatives are not permitted to register for the meeting.
Upcoming Virtual Seminar
The Leadership Development Seminar for Women in Medicine and Science is a highly interactive seminar held over the course of three days from 12–4 p.m. ET.
- December 7-9, 2021
Participants are required to attend the seminar in its entirety, as content and activities have been designed to engage with peers and faculty. Each day will include formal networking sessions and you will be required to present one of the following topics to a small group of your peers.
You may choose to:
- Highlight your successes and/or accomplishments during the last year;
- Share an innovative approach to an initiative you’ve recently implemented; or,
- Share an idea or goal for which you would like to request peer feedback.
As a participant in this small group, you may be asked to offer guidance and recommendations to your peers, helping them gain visibility and achieve professional goals.
Registration & Fees
The registration fee is $775. This fee covers registration for this three-day virtual seminar. The registration fee does not include the optional CME fee.
Registration for the December virtual seminar will open in mid-October.
Upon completion of the seminar, participants will be able to:
- Recognize ways to look for and pursue opportunities that will help achieve professional goals and career advancement.
- Discover how a challenging year can provide opportunities for innovation and career growth.
- Identify approaches to effectively negotiate and advocate for oneself.
- Describe strategies for self-care that support and encourage a resilient mindset.