The challenges for leaders in academic medicine are many in today’s ever-changing business environment. As a new department chair or associate dean, you are responsible for critical operational functions that guide the success of your institution. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) has developed the Organizational Leadership in Academic Medicine seminar with your unique professional issues in mind. It is designed to ensure you are equipped with the essential leadership and management skills needed to support your institutions' mission and goals.
As an Associate Dean or Department Chair who has been in your position for three years or less, this is an opportunity to join your colleagues for meaningful networking and skill building in the areas of:
- People and team management
- Financial decision making
Through highly-interactive sessions taught by expert faculty, you will explore leadership and management practices and techniques that you can apply directly to your roles and responsibilities in medical schools and teaching hospitals.
Department chairs and associate deans who are new to their role (first 3 years)
October 15-18, 2020
Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
San Diego, CA
Application & Fees
The application process for the 2020 seminar will open in late May/early June 2020.
The 2019 registration fee is $2,500 for AAMC members and includes payment for the 3.5-day seminar, all study materials, a networking reception, and all meals beginning with dinner on the day of arrival and ending with lunch on the day of departure, with the only exception being dinner on Friday night which is on your own. Optional Dutch treat dine arounds are offered. The fee does not include the optional CME fee, travel, or hotel accommodations.
- Recognize the primary funding sources and challenges related to each of the academic missions
- Identify ways to achieve economic stability and growth in light of recent financial and economic pressures
- Enhance your skills in effective conflict management, negotiation and influence
- Identify strategies for communicating and working effectively with your institution's leadership
- Understand the impact of mergers, acquisitions and clinical integration on faculty and staff
- Explain how diversity and inclusion practices lead to better organizational performance
Questions? Email email@example.com
Are you an associate dean or department chair seeking solutions to your most complex organizational challenges but have more experience than what is required to participate in Organizational Leadership in Academic Medicine for New Associate Deans and Department Chairs? Learn more about the Advanced Leadership Program: A Masterclass for Experienced Deans and Department Chairs here.