Are you thinking about a leadership position in academic medicine and science? Are you ready to take the next step in your career or increase your leadership presence in your scientific or professional organization? The AAMC Leadership and Management Foundations for Academic Medicine and Science seminar will provide critical knowledge and skill-building experiences in core areas vital to leadership and management.
This seminar features expert faculty and interactive sessions that will help you answer the following questions:
- Defining Leadership: What’s the difference between leading and managing? How do I make the transition from being a contributor to a leader? How can I build my leadership presence and credibility?
- Leading with Emotional Intelligence: Am I emotionally intelligent? How can I manage and channel the emotions of myself and others to create a productive and healthy work environment? How can I build and improve my own emotional intelligence?
- Managing Time and Multiple Priorities: How do I balance the demands of being a leader with my other roles and responsibilities? How do I make time for what’s important and meaningful?
- Management Breakout Sessions: What are the tools and best practices that will help me succeed in conducting meetings, giving feedback, and negotiating with others as a leader?
Who Should Attend?
This seminar is designed to prepare new and emerging leaders to be successful in a leadership role. Examples of participants who attended previous seminars include, but are not limited to, assistant and associate professors, program directors, assistant deans, and administrative leaders.
The AAMC has decided to cancel all planned in-person meetings through June 30, 2021 as the health and safety of our constituents and staff remains our top priority. We are committed to finding safe and effective alternative ways to bring together the academic medicine community and appreciate your patience as we consider options. At this time, a date and location has not yet been determined for the next in-person seminar. We will update our website as soon as additional information becomes available. More information about cancelled meetings is available on our Coronavirus Updates page.
Registration & Fees
The 2020 registration early bird fee was $1,500, and the regular fee was $1,725. This fee covered all program materials, two breakfasts, three lunches, refreshment breaks, a networking reception, and an online EQ-i 2.0 self-assessment with a confidential report regarding your emotional intelligence. The registration fee did not include the optional CME fee, travel, or hotel accommodations.
View the 2019 seminar agenda. (Be sure to select the "Leadership and Management Foundations" tab.)
The seminar provides critical knowledge and skill-building experiences in core areas vital to leadership and management. At the completion of this seminar, you will be able to:
- Define expectations and success factors of leadership
- Describe the role of emotional intelligence in leading yourself and others
- Utilize innovative interpersonal and team communication strategies
- Apply strategies for managing time and setting priorities that result in the achievement of both personal and organizational goals
In addition to knowing more about leadership, you will acquire an enhanced repertoire of leadership behaviors and leave the seminar prepared to ‘enact’ leadership.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org