The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Certificate Program, an application-based certificate program, cultivates leaders in academic medicine through evidence-based, collaborative learning and reflective practice. The program will be delivered as a one-year, cohort-based, national leadership development certificate program that focuses on four areas:
- Strategic vision and setting direction
- Developing people
- Developing organizations
- Managing effectively
For more detailed information, please review the Information Sheet (PDF).
Participants successfully completing the following activities will receive an AAMC issued Certificate of Recognition:
- Virtual orientation session
- Two in-person workshops (1.5 days each) targeting all four LEAD curriculum domains
- Pre- and post-workshop self-directed learning activities
- Coaching via an assigned LEAD coach
- Real-life application through the development and implementation of an individual Applied Leadership Focus (ALF)
- Presentation of ALF work at an AAMC Regional Medical Education Meeting
Who Should Attend?
The program is targeted for early to mid-career faculty who are aspiring to or are already in leadership roles in medical education. Professional staff in leadership roles who are working in medical education are also welcome to apply and will be considered on a space-available basis. Faculty and professional staff from non-member institutions will be considered on a space-available basis as well.
The next offering of this program will take place in 2022. The dates and locations of the in-person workshops are still being finalized. Sign up to receive updates.
Application & Fees
Application and registration fees for the 2022 LEAD Certificate Program will be announced when registration opens. Sign up to receive updates.
The fee for the 2020-2021 program was $1650 for AAMC members and $1980 for non-members. The registration fee includes: two in-person workshops, all program materials, coaching sessions, some meals, and networking activities. The registration fee does not include travel to/from the in-person workshops and hotel accommodations.
At the completion of the certificate program, participants will be able to:
- Apply relevant theoretical frameworks to guide their ongoing leadership development and effective actions in various situations;
- Differentiate administration, management, and leadership, and explain the contribution of each;
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that include effective communication, supervision, strategic planning, and organizational development (e.g., creating a shared vision, developing people and capacity, facilitating effective change);
- Use reflective practice and feedback to develop and continuously refine their personal leadership style and effectiveness; and
- Develop supportive relationships with others to facilitate one’s leadership career aspirations.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org