The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Certificate Program, an application-based certificate program, cultivates leaders in academic medicine through evidence-based, collaborative learning and reflective practice. The program will be delivered as a one-year, cohort-based, national leadership development certificate program that focuses on four areas:
- Strategic vision and setting direction
- Developing people
- Developing organizations
- Managing effectively
For more detailed information, please review the Information Sheet (PDF).
Participants successfully completing the following activities will receive an AAMC issued Certificate of Recognition:
- Virtual orientation session
- Two in-person workshops (1.5 days each) targeting all four LEAD curriculum domains
- Pre- and post-workshop self-directed learning activities
- Coaching via an assigned LEAD coach
- Real-life application through the development and implementation of an individual Applied Leadership Focus (ALF)
- Presentation of ALF work at an AAMC Regional Medical Education Meeting
Who Should Attend?
The program is targeted for early to mid-career faculty who are aspiring to or are already in leadership roles in medical education. Professional staff in leadership roles who are working in medical education are also welcome to apply and will be considered on a space-available basis. Faculty and professional staff from non-member institutions will be considered on a space-available basis as well.
Upcoming Certificate Programs
To successfully complete the program, participants are required to attend both workshops in their entirety and attend one of the AAMC Regional Medical Education Meetings in the spring.
CANCELED: May 6-7, 2020: AAMC Learning Center, Washington, D.C.
September 10-11, 2020: InterContinental, Minneapolis - St. Paul Airport
2021 Medical Education Regional Meeting
Application & Fees
The fee for the 2020-2021 program was $1650 for AAMC members and $1980 for non-members. The registration fee includes: payment for the May and September workshops, program materials, coaching sessions, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, refreshment breaks, and 2 networking receptions (total for both workshops.) Please note: there is a separate registration fee required to attend the spring Regional Medical Education Meeting of your choice. The registration fee does not include the following: travel to/from the May and September workshops, hotel accommodations, or registration for the AAMC Regional Medical Education Meeting. To view the 2020 agenda, speaker list and additional program information, click here.
The AAMC has decided to cancel all planned in-person meetings through June 30, 2021 as the health and safety of our constituents and staff remains our top priority. We are committed to finding safe and effective alternative ways to bring together the academic medicine community and appreciate your patience as we consider options. At this time, a date and location has not yet been determined for the next cohort. We will update our website as soon as additional information becomes available.
At the completion of the certificate program, participants will be able to:
- Apply relevant theoretical frameworks to guide their ongoing leadership development and effective actions in various situations;
- Differentiate administration, management, and leadership, and explain the contribution of each;
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that include effective communication, supervision, strategic planning, and organizational development (e.g., creating a shared vision, developing people and capacity, facilitating effective change);
- Use reflective practice and feedback to develop and continuously refine their personal leadership style and effectiveness; and
- Develop supportive relationships with others to facilitate one’s leadership career aspirations.
Contact the AAMC Leadership Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.