This webinar will explore the unique challenges facing DACA recipients and undocumented medical school students in their pursuit of a professional degree and beyond. Panelists will address the life cycle of these students from the perspective of admissions, financial aid, wellness, student affairs and career advising, identifying support systems and effective institutional practices and strategies. Topics to be discussed include a review of admissions practices, funding approaches, curricular considerations, systems of support, and campus and community resources. Session outcomes seek a better understanding of the DACA student experience and needed support systems from application through the transition to residency.
- Obtain further insight into the national pool of medical school applicants and graduates with DACA status.
- Gain a better understanding of the unique needs of DACA students along the medical school continuum.
- Consider effective practices regarding admissions policies, funding, wellness and career advising.
- Valerie Parkas, MD, Associate Dean of Admissions, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Hilit Mechaber, MD, FACP, Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- Gordon D. Koff, Director of Financial Aid, Geisel School of Medicine, Dartmouth University
- Judith Brady, PhD, Assistant Dean for Student Wellness and Engagement, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine