Group on Educational Affairs (GEA)
The purpose of the Group on Educational Affairs (GEA) is to advance medical education and medical educators through faculty development, curriculum development, educational research, and assessment in undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education.
To subscribe to the listserv and become a member of the GEA, complete a GEA Membership Application.
GEA Activity Report
The GEA Activity Report provides succinct updates on the activities and will be issued monthly with a focus either on Medical Education or the GEA regional and section activities. Read the July 2019 Report.
Guide to Group on Educational Affairs
Regions and Sections
The GEA has four regions. Each holds an annual spring meeting for faculty, educators, and administrators from the member institutions within their respective regions. Regional GEA meetings include sessions and exhibits analogous to those offered at the national meeting, including meetings of regional special interest groups (SIGs).
- Central Group on Educational Affairs (CGEA)
- Northeastern Group on Educational Affairs (NEGEA)
- Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA)
- Western Group on Educational Affairs (WGEA)
The GEA has four sections, reflecting the continuum of medical education. Members may select two of the four sections to belong to and may sign up for all four section listservs.
- Undergraduate Medical Education (UGME): Promotes excellence in the education of medical students from selection to graduation.
- Graduate Medical Education (GME): Promotes excellence in the education of physicians during residency training.
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD): Promotes excellence in the education of physicians throughout their careers.
- Medical Education Scholarship Research and Evaluation (MESRE): Enhances the quality of research in medical education and promotes its application to educational practice.
The GEA is organized to encompass activities across the medical education continuum. Membership is open to individuals at AAMC member institutions, with professional responsibility in UGME, GME, CPD, and medical education research. GEA members are self-nominated.
If you are interested in joining the GEA, please complete a Membership Application.
On your application, please select no more than two GEA sections with which you would like to be affiliated:
- Undergraduate Medical Education (UGME)
- Graduate Medical Education (GME)
- Continuing Education and Improvement (CEI)
- Medical Education Scholarship Research and Evaluation (MESRE)
National Grant Award
The GEA seeks to promote grant proposals that foster collaborations among the GEA sections (UGME, GME, CEI and MESRE) and/or regions (CGEA, NEGEA, SGEA and WGEA) as well schools, professions, and/or departments within an institution.
Merrell Flair Award in Medical Education
To honor an individual who has made a major contribution over a significant time period to the process or administration or transmission of information regarding medical education in North America.
The Group on Educational Affairs offers numerous opportunities for members to collaborate and participate in group decisions and governance.
Rules and Regulations
Official governance and administration information for members of the Group on Educational Affairs.
AAMC Mailing Lists
AAMC mailing lists are available for sharing valuable information and resources with our member institutions and constituents.
My AAMC Affinity Groups
View your AAMC Affinity Group participation including other members of your active Groups via the My AAMC Affinity Group page. Sign in required.