These resources are meant to aid diverse academic medicine professionals in their career development and raise awareness of the issues of diversity in academic medicine.
The CFAS Diversity Committee, under the leadership of VJ Periyakoil, MD, will elevate awareness of the importance of diversity among administrative board members and the leadership of CFAS, as well as seek to develop mechanisms to promote and empower diversity and inclusiveness in all CFAS activities. Since we collaborate closely with the Group on Diversity and Inclusion (GDI) and the Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS), this mission statement reflects those of our partners. We define diversity broadly to include all aspects of human differences including but not limited to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, geography (including rural and highly rural areas), disability, and age. This committee will continue to collaborate with the Group on Diversity and Inclusion (GDI) and other relevant AAMC groups to facilitate and promote the development of innovative methods of education, research, policy, and clinical practice that focus on issues of diversity, inclusion, and respectful interactions.
Web-based resources and reports on diversity in academic medicine
Diversity Efforts at Medical Schools
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Stanford Medicine School of Medicine
- UAB School of Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Medicine
- University of Maryland School of Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Weill Cornell Medicine
- Yale School of Medicine
Professional Organizations for People of Diverse Backgrounds
- National Hispanic Medical Association - a non-profit association representing the interests of 50,000 licensed Hispanic physicians in the United States with a vision of improving the health of Hispanic populations.
- National Medical Association - A collective voice for African American physicians and a leading force for parity and justice in medicine and the elimination of disparities in health, the National Medical Association is the largest and oldest national organization representing African American physicians and their patients in the United States.
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society - Sustains 189 chartered college and university chapters, 15 professional chapters, and 158 affiliated K-12 schools supporting American Indian students in STEM fields through scholarships and internships, workforce development and career resources, national and regional conferences, science fairs, and leadership development.
- Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science - An inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM.
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting - The association for professionals of Latino descent who are involved in finance and accounting.
- Association for Women in Science - The association for women interested or involved in science.
- National Association for Female Executives - The association for women professionals in executive positions in their organizations.
- National Association of Asian MBAs - The association for people of Asian descent who have earned their Masters in Business Administration (MBA).
- National Association of Asian American Professionals - The Association for Asian American professionals.
- National Black MBA Association - The association for African American people who have earned their Masters in Business Administration (MBA).