The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Certificate Program, an application-based certificate program, cultivates leaders in academic medicine through evidence-based, collaborative learning and reflective practice. The program will be delivered as a one-year, cohort-based, national leadership development certificate program that focuses on four areas:
- Strategic vision and setting direction
- Developing people
- Developing organizations
- Managing effectively
For more detailed information, please review the Information Sheet (PDF).
Participants successfully completing the following activities will receive an AAMC issued Certificate of Recognition:
- Virtual orientation session
- Two in-person workshops (1.5 days each) targeting all four LEAD curriculum domains
- Pre- and post-workshop self-directed learning activities
- Coaching via an assigned LEAD coach
- Real-life application through the development and implementation of an individual Applied Leadership Focus (ALF)
- Virtual presentation of Applied Learning Focus (ALF) work
Who Should Attend?
The program is targeted for early to mid-career faculty who are aspiring to or are already in leadership roles in medical education. Professional staff in leadership roles who are working in medical education are also welcome to apply and will be considered on a space-available basis. Faculty and professional staff from non-member institutions will be considered on a space-available basis as well.
Upcoming Certificate Program
The application for the 2023-2024 cohort will open in February 2023.
The workshop dates for the 2023 program are:
Workshop 1: May 17-18, 2023, AAMC Learning Center, Washington, DC
Workshop 2: October 4-5, 2023, Learning Center, Washington, DC
Application & Fees
The registration fee for the 2023 Certificate Program is $2,500 and includes payment for the May and October workshops. This fee also includes program materials, coaching sessions, two breakfasts, two lunches, refreshment breaks, and two receptions (total for both workshops).
At the completion of the certificate program, participants will be able to:
- Apply relevant theoretical frameworks to guide their ongoing leadership development and effective actions in various situations;
- Differentiate administration, management, and leadership, and explain the contribution of each;
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that include effective communication, supervision, strategic planning, and organizational development (e.g., creating a shared vision, developing people and capacity, facilitating effective change);
- Use reflective practice and feedback to develop and continuously refine their personal leadership style and effectiveness; and
- Develop supportive relationships with others to facilitate one’s leadership career aspirations.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.