The Women Faculty of Color Toolkits are presentations designed to provide practical information on issues, practices, and data that impact women faculty of color. Presentations provide an overview of the topic, relevant best practices, tips on implementation, and useful references for more information. We encourage you to share these resources with interested colleagues at your organization.
Strategies for Advancing the Careers of Women of Color in Academic Medicine
Part 1: Institutional Strategies (PDF)
- Learning Objectives: Identify the primary barriers to women faculty of color in academic medicine and recommend policies, programs, and practices that can be implemented at the institutional level to better include and support women faculty of color.
- Goals: Raise awareness of the factors informing the careers of women faculty of color in academic medicine and methods of dismantling and mitigating the barriers to the development and advancement of all faculty.
- Use the accompanying Institutional Strategies worksheet (PDF) as a small group activity.
Part 2: Individual Strategies (PDF)
- Learning Objectives: Identify the primary factors affecting the careers of women faculty of color in academic medicine and to suggest strategies that women of color in academic medicine can adopt to navigate their careers beyond barriers and gain the support essential to advancing to leadership.
- Goals: Offer practices and strategies that individuals can develop to advocate for themselves and expand professional networks that ultimately result in advancement to the next stage of their career.
- Use the accompanying Individual Strategies worksheet (PDF) as a small group activity.