The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office for Civil Rights Dec. 12 issued a Request for Information (RFI) seeking input on how the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA, P.L. 104-191) can be modified to promote coordinated, value-based care.
In addition to broad feedback on the HIPAA rules, the agency is specifically seeking comments on the following issues:
- Encouraging information-sharing for treatment and care coordination;
- Facilitating parental involvement in care;
- Addressing the opioid crisis and serious mental illness;
- Accounting for disclosures of protected health information for treatment, payment, and health care operations; and
- Changing the current requirement for certain providers to make a good faith effort to obtain an acknowledgement of receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices.
The AAMC will submit comments, which are due by Feb. 11, 2019.