Mission, Vision, and Strategy
2013 Annual Report
The AAMC and our members worked together in 2012 to lay a strong foundation for the future.
Millions of Americans turn to teaching hospitals for specialized surgeries, life-saving care, and complex treatments.
They are where medical knowledge continuously evolves and new cures and treatments are found. They are where critical community services, such as trauma and burn centers, always stand ready. They are the training ground for more than 100,000 new physicians and other health professionals each year. Teaching hospitals also are a vital part of America's safety net, providing care to millions of the nation's uninsured.
The AAMC represents the nation's nearly 400 major teaching hospitals and health systems and their associated clinical physicians. Comprising only six percent of all hospitals, AAMC members operate:
- 39 percent of neonatal ICUs beds
- 63 percent of pediatric ICUs beds
- 82 percent of all American College of Surgeons (ACS)-verified level 1 trauma centers
- 78 percent of all burn care units beds
These institutions also provide nearly half of all hospital charity care nationwide and a disproportionate share of care to patients who are severely ill or have rare conditions, including:
- 68 percent of the surgical transplant services
- 52 percent of Alzheimer's centers
- 21 percent of all cardiac surgeries
Teaching hospitals are improving health by...
Discovering tomorrow's cures and transforming care
Providing community care
- How Do Teaching Hospitals Serve America's Communities?
- The Economic Impact of AAMC-Member Medical Schools and Teaching Hospitals
- Data on Teaching Hospitals and Charity Care
Educating future physicians
- Graduate Medical Education: The Basics
- Simulators Come to Life in Resident Training
- Future Physicians Enlist in Resident Boot Camps
- Residency Training Focuses on Improving Chronic Care
Member Teaching Hospitals and Health Systems
The nation's medical schools and teaching hospitals are committed to advancing health and health care every day.
The AAMC represents all 141 accredited U.S. and 17 accredited Canadian medical schools.