What We Do Matters
Since 1876, the AAMC has offered services, products, and resources to help tomorrow’s doctors.
About the AAMC
The AAMC serves and leads the academic medicine community to improve the health of all.
Founded in 1876 and based in Washington, D.C., the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is a not-for-profit association representing all 141 accredited U.S. and 17 accredited Canadian medical schools; nearly 400 major teaching hospitals and health systems, including 51 Department of Veterans Affairs medical centers; and 90 academic and scientific societies. Through these institutions and organizations, the AAMC represents 148,000 faculty members, 83,000 medical students, and 115,000 resident physicians.
Through its many programs and services, the AAMC strengthens the world's most advanced medical care by supporting the entire spectrum of education, research, and patient care activities conducted by our member institutions. The AAMC and our members are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our desire to earn and keep the public's trust for the role we play in improving the nation's health.
The vision of the AAMC and its members is a healthy nation and world in which:
- America's system of medical education, through continual renewal and innovation, prepares physicians and scientists to meet the nation's evolving health needs.
- The nation's medical students, biomedical graduate students, residents, fellows, faculty, and the health care workforce are diverse and culturally competent.
- Advances in medical knowledge, therapies, and technologies prevent disease, alleviate suffering, and improve quality of life.
- The nation's health system meets the needs of all.
- Concern for compassion, quality, safety, efficacy, accountability, affordability, professionalism, and the public good guide the health care community.
- Medical schools and teaching hospitals continually earn the trust and support of the public for their special missions.
- The AAMC and our members are a dynamic force in realizing this vision.
More About Us
The Impact of Medical Schools and Teaching Hospitals
This infographic demonstrates the unique role that the nation’s medical schools and teaching hospitals play in the health care system to improve patient care.
At our annual meeting, the AAMC presents awards honoring people and programs making significant contributions to academic medicine.